For Texans without health insurance, affordable coverage is available through the health insurance exchange. Individuals may apply for individual or family coverage. The enrollment period ends Jan. 15, 2023. Enrolling by Dec. 15 secures coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2023.
If you don’t have coverage through your employer or you don’t qualify for government-provided health coverage, such as Medicare and Medicaid, you may qualify for affordable coverage through the exchange.
There are significant subsidies available to offset the costs of monthly premiums for coverage.
- The amount of subsidy varies according to your income but there is no income cutoff.
- There is no age limit for subsidies.
- You don’t have to be a U.S. citizen, but you must be a legal resident.
- Subsidies are significantly larger than they have been in previous years.
- Subsidies work like advance tax credits.
Enrollment in health insurance plans through the exchange has been increasing in Texas. Enrollment increased 42 percent between 2021 and 2022, with more than 1.8 million Texans getting their health insurance protection through the exchange.
Plan information and application is available at healthcare.gov.
Navigators are available to help with the application process and selecting the best plan for you and your family. The complete list of navigators and contact information is below with the counties they serve:
- Bexar County Community Health Collaborative (serving Atascosa, Bexar, DeWitt, Karnes, Uvalde, Wilson Counties): (210) 481-2574
- Boat People SOS-Houston (serving Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Matagorda, Montgomery Counties): (281) 530-6888
- Change HAPPENS! (serving 59 counties encompassing the Gulf Coast region, Southeast and Northeast portions of Texas): (713) 374-1285
- Coastal Bend Center for Independent Living (serving Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Duval, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Live Oak, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio counties): (361) 334-1206
- El Central Del Barrio, dba CentroMed (serving Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Wilson, Gillespie, Atascosa, Medina, Bandera, Kerr, Kendall, Frio, Uvalde counties): (210) 334-3703
- Foundation Communities (serving Bastrop, Bell, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Fayette, Gillespie, Hays, Llano, McLennan, Travis, Williamson Counties): (512) 610-4022
- Light & Salt Association (serving 26 counties encompassing Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Austin metro areas): (713) 988-4724
- MHP Salud (serving 67 counties along the Texas-Mexico border and greater southern Texas region): (956) 272-1613
- South Plains Community Action Association (serving 64 counties in the Texas Panhandle, South Plains, Permian Basin, and far west Texas): (806) 771-0736
- United Way of Metropolitan Dallas (serving Dallas Metro area): (214) 978-0023